Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How long can the filing spouse drag out the divorce proceedings.

Customer Question

How long can the filing spouse drag out the divorce proceedings. He is an attorney, representing himself, I am disabled, (ssid married over 10 years paying me maintenance with nothing on paper) he does not do anything he says. So far it has been filed on May 2007. I have limited money (already paid 5000.00) and can not afford to pay my attorney anything more. He has wasted alot of money by doing and calling my attoney and wasting his time and not answering and providing me with information he says so that I can proceed as well as harrasing me. I am woried that he is trying to pull something and dont know how to come up with money to pay another attorney. My attorney is fed up with his stalling and incompent responses that he at one time tried to withdraw from the case. I also moved to another city in texas since Sept 2007. Is there a time limit and should I be concerned. PLEASE ADVISE
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 8 years ago.

Dear Bonnie,

Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if I ask a redundant question. In addition, there often are future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature.

That being said, in order to better assist you, could you please clarify for me:

If you attorney has filed any Motions, such as

Motion to Compel Discovery,

Motion for Sanctions,

Motion for Pendente Lite Spousal Support/Maintenance,

Motion for Attorneys Fees?

If you are not sure, look at your billing statement from the attorney where he shows where he spent any money - they should be detailed there, or at least mentioned if they happened.

I look foward to assisting you.

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, JA Legal Expert

Please note: A times there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. In addition, if it is late at night, EST, and we are between postings, I may go get some shut eye, but I'll be back the next day, so never fear. On Saturday, there will be greater gaps in time due to scheduling, for any needed follow up, but rest assured, by day's end it will be done.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting information from me, you expressly agree to the following: The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may or may no pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and fee agreement at my standard billable hour rate of $275.00, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only research, resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you and have a great day.