How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyKaren Your Own Question
AttorneyKaren, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 371
Experience:  Over 14 years as a Family Law Attorney; Temporary Judge Award (2008)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyKaren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have been married for 30 years and found out my husband has

Resolved Question:

i have been married for 30 years and found out my husband has been leading a double life . he works in another country and while there he has married a woman. we have children all are adults but one who will be going to collage in 2009. the doctors told me years ago that i was disable due to a birth deffect to my lower back( i have had four operations ) will i be able to get alimony and about how much his gross pay is over 160,000. thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyKaren replied 8 years ago.
He would owe you alimony, especially if you have a disability--also this was a long term marriage. Your husband is commiting bigamy at this time; so, his second marriage is invalid because he was already married at the time of his second marriage.
Louisiana Alimony may be awarded to either party who is without fault and without sufficient means for support. The award cannot exceed one-third of the other party's income unless the alimony award is to be paid in a lump-sum payment. The Court will consider the following factors in determining Louisiana alimony or spousal support:
  • the time necessary to acquire sufficient education and training to enable the spouse to find appropriate employment;

  • the income, means, and assets of the spouses, and the liquidity of the assets;

  • the comparative financial obligations of the spouses;

  • the age and health of the spouses;

  • duration of marriage;

  • tax consequences; and

  • any other relevant circumstances.

So, in this instance the maximum award could be $40,000.00 per year or $3,333.33 per month--however, he would credit get for the health care expenses he pays any other child support he pays for the other children--so this amount would be adjusted with those factors.
Good luck in this situation--
Yours truly,
AttorneyKaren and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you