How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jogoesq Your Own Question
jogoesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 258
Experience:  17 years experience in family law, custody, visitation, contested and uncontested divorces
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
jogoesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am gettnig married to a woman who has a 4 year old son. THe

Resolved Question:

I am gettnig married to a woman who has a 4 year old son. THe father of the son has not been invloved at all an want to let me adopt him. I am in Kansas. Where can I look for help to get started or how do I get started. The father agrees 100% to let me adopt his son- he want to sign the papers- but what are the proper papers to get this process done?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  jogoesq replied 8 years ago.



You will need to get an attorney to have him/her draw up surrender papers for the biological father to sign. There will have to be a court hearing so that the Judge can make sure that the father knows what he is doing and is doing so voluntarily.


Once the surrender is taken, there is a brief waiting period so that the father can have an opportunity to change his mind. After that period passes, adoption papers will have to be drawn up. There is another court hearing to finalize the adoption.


Hope this answers your question.



jogoesq and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you