How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently gave custody to my daughters Dad. He signed and

Customer Question

I recently gave custody to my daughters Dad. He signed and agreement that I would not pay him support in the custody agreement. Now I went to court and the judge awarded him child support of 80 a week. (I make 11.80/hr.) He only paid me 70 a week and he makes 17/hr., I really feel this is a bit unfair also I am a single parent of a younger daughter which I receive no child support for, can this be right?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately there is nothing illegal about what the judge did. I'm sorry you retained an attorney who gave you false hope because the attorney should have told you that the judge would award support. You can not contract out of child support payments unless there is some other "like-kind" support being provided of similar value such as you're paying private educational expenses, elective medical procedures, special trips or something else that you normally would not have to pay. Your best option would be to seek a modification of the amount as being excessive because the judge did not take into account the support you provide for a child not subject to the petition. If the judge did not take into account your other daughter then you may have a way to reduce the support amount.