How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116818
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 25 years old I had my child support obligation paid

Resolved Question:

My son is 25 years old I had my child support obligation paid down to $20,000.00 Then one day out of the blue they added 44,000.00 in interest that we had no knowledge of. We pay 425.00 a month and most of the payment 405.00 goes to interest without hardly touching the principal. The principal read 20,000.00 aprox before and now it is up to 45,00000 again. The child is now living in the State of Washington, no longer in California. This thorn in the flesh has destroyed my credit, my tax return was confiscated and I have had it with this mess. My child spent most of his childhood in Mexico with his mother and I did not get to see him at all.   I didn't mind paying the principal but when the interest was added that just blows my mind for a 25 year old kid!
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, you will need to get an attorney and go to the court in CA that issued the child support judgment and the interest and seek for relief from the interest payments. The problem is courts generally have no sympathy for back child support claims and interest and they rarely grant such relief in full, but in many instances will reduce the interest and freeze it to allow the party who has been paying to catch up and pay off the debt.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions