How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 697
Experience:  Trial Attorney, licensed in FL, GA, & AL. Rated 10 / 10 by avvo.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to have visitation with my grandchildren. My son, his

Resolved Question:

I want to have visitation with my grandchildren. My son, his wife and children may live in Beverdam, VA. His father and step-mother say that my son does not want contact and that my son exacted a promise not to tell me anything about them.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Grandparents do not really have rights to visitation in Virginia. This website lists some attorneys you can talk to:

Please click accept.

Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with? Did I answer you question? If not, please let me know how I can help further. If so, PLEASE click accept, so I can receive credit. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

What do you mean that grandparents really don't have rights?

Why should I contact the suggested website? What would the outcome be?

Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Under the law, there are no AUTOMATIC rights for grandparents of a grandchild in Virginia. My use of "really" was accidental. Grandparents can petition for visitation if there is any disruption to the conventional family unit, including not only divorce but also adoption, the death of a parent, or the termination of parental rights.

The website is an advocacy site and has the name of at least two firms in Virginia that advocate for possible exceptions to the law.
John and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you