How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations of support, visitation, custody, etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a spouse who walked away from a marriage of twenty years

Customer Question

If a spouse who walked away from a marriage of twenty years and moved in with his girlfriend tells a judge that he doesn't want a divorce to not pay his part of the marital bills and child support, what can be done? The judge was to order a hearing to determine payments to be made and now has instead said that my sister must wait two years since he doesn't want a divorce. This is an out and out lie!
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.


While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you.


Although it's usually five minutes, sometimes there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.


I need the following information before I can answer your question:


Can you please tell me what state is involved in your question? I cannot see it on my screen right now. I may need to research your state-specific law.


I'll look forward to hearing from you,


Jane Doe Deer


Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response. Pennsylvania.


Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

Wow! You're pretty quick yourself!


So, does either your sister or her husband have attorneys?

Was the judge just saying it'd be two years until a divorce trial?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

They both have attornies. Michele (my sis) attorney said she had nothing to worry about but on Tuesday Ken (the husband) stated in the courtroom he does not want a divorce. He is just trying to not pay the debts they have; he doesn't make the house payments or bill payments and barely gives her anything at present.This has been going on for a YEAR!


Yeah, I'm sitting here at the computer...she is drowning and I want to try to help.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
BTW, he told her he is in love with another woman and left two weeks later and has lived with her since.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't see where to ACCEPT anywhere!
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

What her attorney needs to do right away, and should have already done, is to make a motion for temporary support and perhaps alimony. The fact that the attorney hasn't done this already makes me concerned about the attorney, but then, I don't know the whole story.


That's for wanting to accept. You haven't seen it yet because I hadn't clicked "answer" on my side yet. Wink


I'll be happy to chat some more even if you click "accept" now. At some point, however, I'm going to go offline for the evening, but WILL be back tomorrow.




Jane Doe Deer

Jane Doe Deer and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.
You're not really from a town called "Pgh" are you?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I accepted. It's Pittsburgh lol. I'm shorthanding. New word in the English language. I doubt her attorney's abilities also.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry. I didn't say thank you. At least it's something that can and should be done that I haven't heard him mention as yet.
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

You're very welcome. I always tell people to check references on attorneys - you're hiring a very expensive employee. Some attorneys are overwhelmed with work; some just procrastinate.


Here are a couple of websites to give your sister if she wants to do a bit of background reading:


Come back anytime!