Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I had an affair and got a girl pregnant. I decided to stop

Customer Question
seeing her but she is...
I had an affair and got a girl pregnant. I decided to stop seeing her but she is threatning me for child support. I want nothing to do with this girl or the child.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2008
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
I read your facts. Is there a particular question I can help you with?

Hello

Your response didn't come through
The question is if I will be obligated to pay child support if I got a girl pregnant during an affair. I did not want her to have but she decided to have the babay anyways.
Unfortunately, yes you will likely be responsible for child support. Of course you should ask for a paternity test to be sure that you are the father. Under the current laws across the U.S. you don't have a say so in whether or not she has the child but you will still have a responsibility to pay child support.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Can I give up parental rights so I wont have to pay? This was an affair, nothing else.
You can try, but most judges are very reluctant to allow someone to give up their parental rights unless someone else is standing by to adopt. However, if a judge will allow it then a termination of your parental rights will relieve you of any obligation to pay child support. If you try for that be sure an order is actually signed by the judge. we get questions on here all the time by guys who signed an affidavit to terminate but the order was never signed and now they are responsible for back child support in the thousands.

My current family (kids and wife) wont accept this child as part of the family. I see this child being neglected or evenly abused if they were to come. I pay child support now but it has taken a tow on my current family.

Are there laws that speak to the best interest of the child that support these type of payments.

There is a presumption under the law that child support payments are in the best interest of the child.

Same situation here: How would you respond to this person.

I am married and I had an affair. The woman I had the affair with deliberately got pregnant because she was getting ready to turn 40 and her mother had a heart attack and she wanted her mother to have a grand child before she died. I found out about her being pregnant when she was about 6 months along. She stated the above reasons for getting pregnant deliberately. When I found out I told her that I did not want another child and she said that this was her child and she would handle it on her own. I did not see or hear from her again until the child was almost two and then she started to ask me for money to help pay for the child's daycare. She said that this would be over when he went to school - since then she has started to ask for more money and states that she will not take me to court but I needed to continue sending the money. We live in the state of Virginia. I want to give up my parental rights and stop sending this mooney. I don't see the child and do not want to have a relationship with him. She said that this was her child. Can I give up my rights. We have never had a paternity test. I don't know if it is my child. What do I do? Before we started this affair we discussed the fact that neither of us wanted children. So I thought I was safe. I know I was wrong for having the affair and I really regret having it. My wife is really hurt but she is standing by me and we are trying to pick up the pieces. I want to spend the rest of my life making this up to my wife but this support is a burden and it makes me angry because she deliberately did this. Please help me!

Would it matter if we had an agreement that she would not have a child if this was to happen. She really had it because she was turning 40 and had an accident that almost took her life. This was the reason why she moved forward having the baby.
The answer is the same as yours, the court is almost certainly going to order child support.

The reason is that the court looks at what is best for the child, and the child support is presumed to be best for the child.

As to the second question, it doesn't matter what your agreement was, again because the court is looking at the child as separate from you two. If she will agree to terminate your rights it will be a lot easier to get it done but the court can still deny it.

JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

It doesnt matter that I was married to another person while this child was consumed?

No, it doesn't make any difference at all.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer