How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive been waiting for 4 month for my soon-to-be ex wife to

Customer Question

I've been waiting for 4 month for my soon-to-be ex wife to bring her balance up to date with her lawyer so that our divorce papers will get sent to the county court for filing and finalization. I've signed everything I need to and she tells she has as well and all she has to do is bring her balance current. I'm suspicious that she's isn't paying her balance, but I can't wait any longer for our divorce to be finalized. Is there anything I can do to make sure the papers get filed and get this divorce behind me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- Assuming you don't have your own lawyer to do the work then the only thing I know of is for you to bring her balance current so the lawyer will do the work. You can include some language in the decree that she owes you the money. You have no other way to force her do to anything however I would assume that if this is a pending case the court would request that the paperwork be filed at some point.


You can call her attorney and simply ask if you can pay the balance and get the paperwork filed. That would probably be the quickest way to get the job completed.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law