How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations of support, visitation, custody, etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

im divorced with three children. their mother and i have joint

Resolved Question:

i'm divorced with three children. their mother and i have joint leagal custody, with the kids living with the mother. i have liberal visitation rights. my question is my son age 18 and still in school may be eligable to be classified as physically,and or mentally disabled. if i pursue the disability issue (to relieve his mother and i of large medical bills) and put him on social security may i be liable for child support even after he has attained adult status, but still lives with his mother?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.


There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.


Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you. So, if I suggest something you already tried, it's because I couldn't see part of your original question. Just write back to me and let me know.


Answer: If you get your son onto social security, you can arrange that his mother receive the social security payments. These will pay for your son's room and board. I don't have a crystal ball, but in this scenario, it is likely that a court will not award child support on top of the social security.


I'd be happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please "accept" my answer and ask for "Jane Doe Deer" the next time you use


I wish you the best.


Jane Doe Deer


Jane Doe Deer and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions