Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

my sister passed in arizona shortly after her husbands government

my sister passed in arizona...
my sister passed in arizona shortly after her husband's government retirement insurance payout (30K) was deposited in a bank account for her use. a daughter survives her but sister left no will and apparently she never named her daughter as beneficiary. what does her daughter have to do to get access to the money? my sister's other bank accounts list her as beneficiary. other accounts are less than 5K.
11/1/2008
Attorney & Mediator
In AZ if there is less than $50,000.00 in property she can get the benefits by preparing a small estate affidavit and presenting this document to the retirement agency. AZ has the forms and instructions on how to do this here. There is no requirement that this document be filed with the court. It would also be necessary for her to have mom's death certificate to faciliate the transfer.

Hope this is helps.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
I BELIEVE BULL HEAD CITY IS IN MOHAVE COUNTY NOT MARICOPA. WILL SHE BE OK USING MARICOPA COUNTY FORMS?
She should be fine. The Mohave court form for transfer of real estate is the same as for Maricopa. Mohave has no specific form for the transfer of personal property. Since she does not have to file this form, she should be fine. But she can always call the court clerk to confirm this. You can access the Mohave court website here.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer