How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

on 3rd march 2003, my husbands ex was given a court order (thru

Resolved Question:

on 3rd march 2003, my husbands ex was given a court order (thru the magistrates court in Brisbane) as part of the settlement agreement she was to transfer the title deeds of the house to my husband and to this date and many attempts for her to do so she has refused to do this. What can we do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- You need to file motion for contempt to get a court order to transfer the deeds. She is obviously in contempt of the court order so the court would likely order the transfer. Most courts will also award attorney fees in cases of contempt.


A court order is really your only recourse in this situation.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney of Law

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How do we go about filing a motion for contempt also what does awarding attorney fees mean and to who?
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

You have to file the motion in the court where the decree is filed. It is a titled "Motion for Contempt" and is on the same heading as other paperwork in the case. You would then state your facts and that she has violated the decree by not signing over the property. If you hire an attorney, which I recommend, then he or she can prepare the documents correctly. The attorney fees would be awarded to you, assuming you hire an attorney. This would defray the cost of filing the motion.


Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you