How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ex husband owe approx 23,000 credit card bills. Divorced stated

Customer Question

Ex husband owe approx 23,000 credit card bills. Divorced stated he pays them. Divorced final 2 yrs ago. Can I file a lien on his home and business
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- If he is paying according to the terms of the credit cards there's not much you can do. If he is not you can file a motion for contempt with the court that issued the divorce decree however you cannot place a lien on his house since this is not a typical civil court judgment but a divorce decree.


This is a common problem in divorce cases where one party is responsible for a debt but the creditor is not part of the agreement so the creditor can still seek payments from both parties.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law