How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41547
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Florida, my husband of 34 years left me for another

This answer was rated:

I live in Florida, my husband of 34 years left me for another woman. We have been separated for 2 1/2 years. I have been left with our home and a majority of the debt. He helps out when asked but the bills out way the incomes at this point. I have been told that Florida is a 50-50 state for settlement. When we built this home I put into it much of my 401 K at the time. I also make and contributed twice the money he has. Is there any hope for me to get more than the 50-50 payout? Also he has not contributed equally since he has been out of the house. Also, he does stand to inherit quite a bit of money in the future and wondered if it would behouve me to wait out a divorce for now?
Thanks for oyur questions here. You may certainly be entitled to payback for the house if you contributed substantially morre than 1.2 here. the court would decide the amount of offset they would allow here. You may be entitled to spousal suppoty here in this situation.

There was a long term marriage and grounds for a fault based divorce on the basis of adultery.As far an inheritance this is considered nonmarital or separate property so I would wait on this here.

I'm not sure why you haven't filed for divorce here but I think that you would be better off doing so as you may have offset rights as well as spousal support, etc. This would benefit you in such a situation long term. I would consider doing so to receive your rights in this marriage. I wish you good luck here..


Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you