How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawboop Your Own Question
Lawboop, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 364
Experience:  Over ten years as an attorney counseling people and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawboop is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Case divorce. I represent myself. Temporary hearing

Resolved Question:

Case : divorce.
I represent myself.
Temporary hearing and order is done.
We are scheduled for Mediation in a future date.
The lawyer of the petitioner already sanding me the interrogatories, authorizations to disclose medical records, employment and financial authorization to answer and sign and send it back within 30 days.
Question: should I respond to it before the mediation is over or reject it and send it back siting undue action?     What is the rule?
Since I represent myself do I have the same rights as her lawyer does to look into the petitioner's records through requesting the above authorizations from her???
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawboop replied 8 years ago.

I will answer your questions here, but cannot create documents for you to use. Also, I cannot tell you whether to respond to particular questions or requests, in some cases you may have legal defenses to certain questions. I cannot go over this intricate area of law in this forum as it is fact specific and I cannot state that you must respond to all of these questions. Now, generally,

You have been served discovery and have thirty days to respond. You can ask for more time to respond, either send a letter to the attorney asking for more time, get them to agree, or file a motion with the court. If you do not answer they will file a motion to compel and sock you with costs and fees for failing to respond.

Yes, you have exactly the same rights. AND, you can send out subpoenas, call witnesses and engage in legal discovery to discover facts you want. Think about copying their set changing petioner to respondent (or the term in your court) and using it after it is modified.

You will want all of the information possible before mediation. Now, you are right, there may be an order requiring mediation before discovery. You will need to check the court's order. If there is such an order, you will want to write the other attorney, remind him of the order, and state you will answer appropriately if mediation is unsuccessful.
Lawboop and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you