How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

when the mother of the child quits her job to go back to college,

This answer was rated:

when the mother of the child quits her job to go back to college, is she still not responsible for contributing money toward the raising of her son? the son lives with her. the father is now paying half of his paycheck a month to support the son. she is now taking him to court to try to get more money. the father is just making enough to pay his bills and child support. he also carries the son on his health plan. it seems like the mother should have to at least get a part time job to help in paying for the support. she is on public assistance at this time in the state of oregon.
What state are you in?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i live in the state of indiana. my son lives in the portland, oregon area.

In Oregon, the income of both parents is considered when determining the amount of child support the non-custodial parent pays. The child support calculator is here:


In these situations, a court will require the parent to prove why additional support is necessary and why she can't work. School is usually a reason for reduced working hours, but it is not allowed for her to quit completely, and put the burden on you.


It is likely that the judge will increase the support payment, but not as much as she wishes - she'll have to get a part time job or take out student loans to make ends meet.


Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions