How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  JD Degree, Social Service Experience, Child Support Officer
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HiCustomer JustAnswer is asking me to answer your question

This answer was rated:


JustAnswer is asking me to answer your question -- "If you lived in state of Colorado with someone and they have..." -- because it falls within my area of expertise.



I do not understand your question. Did someone begin to answer your question, and not complete it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No my question is my boyfriend used to live in Colorado his exgirlfriend is saying they were married by common law, which I know CO is a common law state, however he has been a resident of MN for over a year now and MN does not acknowledge common law so does he have to file for a divorce or can he get married

Hello again,


Unless both your boyfriend and his ex considered themselves married, lived as a married couple, and held themselves out to be married, they were not common law married. They would have had to file taxes together, use the same last name, tell people they were husband and wife----things like that. It does not matter if they lived together because that alone does not make them married.


If, however, he did consider himself married to her, then he has to get a divorce. Common law marriages, as I described them, are as valid as the ones where you get married by a minister or justice of the peace.

dkennedy and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions