How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Recently i became homeless... I had three kids (two from a

Resolved Question:

Recently i became homeless... I had three kids (two from a divorce) and no where to go near my home town. I asked the kids fathers to take the kids till i could get on my feet. Since then the only place i found to live is in another state with a friend. Now I am being threatened with child abandonment and concerned i could face jail time... is this possible?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
No, not true. Child abandonment refers to when you leave the children on their own to take care of themselves and have failed to adequately provide for food, clothing and shelter. Given that you gave them to their father, that shows you put your kid's best interests forwards. So long as you have maintain contact with the children, this is not considered child abandonment and no way will you be going to jail. It might be possible that dad can request a change in custody given that you were unable to take care of the kids, but in no way would you be doing jail time.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions