How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawrence D. Gorin Your Own Question
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1544
Experience:  30+ years family law experience. QDROs, UIFSA, UCCJEA expertise.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawrence D. Gorin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an American live in Australia. My passport has been revoked

This answer was rated:

I am an American live in Australia. My passport has been revoked because I owe back child support. Before setting up payroll deductions, I paid the mother directly, because there was no other reasonable way. She refuses to give credit for the amounts owing, so my passport has been revoked, and I cannot work because I cannot travel. Presently, I have to earn about $80,000 a year Australian, to meet my support obligation. ... I was never given notice that passport was going to be revoked, so was never able to contest it, I have set up a good payment arrangement (even before the passport was revoked, on my own initiative), and I need it to travel. I've already contacted the state authorities in the US (Texas) and they are not responding, other than to say, "the mother can lift the restriction if she wants" - but that's it. What can I do? Can I file a civil lawsuit through the US consulate in Australia? What are my options? I miss my kids, won't ever get back at this rate. Thank you!
First, check out the following website from the US State Dept. It will probably provide all of the information you are seeking.

You would be well-advised to borrow the money, if necessary, to pay-off the back child support (doing so by sending payment to the state’s child support collection agency) so as to clear the record. If you have to owe somebody money for past due child support, better to owe it to a bank rather than to the state.

Also, regarding the money you paid directly to the mother: If you did so at a time when there was a child support order in place, and the mother is refusing to consent to the recognizing the payments made as being child support and authorizing the state to give you appropriate credit on your child support payment record, you may have legal recourse. You really need to be in touch with a Texas lawyer (assuming that the state that in enforcing the support order) to assist in the process. Trying to do this from afar will be extremely frustrating (as you are already discovering) and most likely unsuccessful. Keep in mind that the state’s child support enforcement agency is really a huge state-operated debt collection agency. You are the debtor, and viewed as a deadbeat debtor at the moment. The state’s debt collection agency is not gong to be sympathetic to you or your situation, and probably not very courteous either. Most likely, if anything positive is going to get done, it will require the assistance of a lawyer who is work on your behalf.

    If your question has been satisfactorily answered, please acknowledge by clicking the green “ACCEPT” button in the upper right hand corner of this window. And if my answer was exceptionally helpful, a “bonus” payment would be most appreciated. Lastly, please add a few words of comment in the FEEDBACK space. It lets me (and others) know how I’m doing. And I thank you in advance.
    P.S. -- If you have future questions that you would like me in particular to answer, just put “FOR MR. GORIN -- ” in the subject line and I will respond next time I am online.

Lawrence D. Gorin and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you