How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and his girlfriend had a child. They are living together

Resolved Question:

My son and his girlfriend had a child. They are living together and unable to care for him. The girlfriend moved out of her house with her mom and stepdad with the agreement that they keep the 9 month old until they were on their feet and able to care for him. Her mom obtained temp. legal guardianship and has cut all ties to the natural mom. She refuses to let anyone see the child. She changed her numbers and moved! She is still in the County. We went w/ the parents today to the Probate to Dismiss the guardianship and the judge sent the case to Juvi. court for a hearing. My son and girlfriend want us to take him until they get on their feet. My husband is a State Trooper and we are good as gold. What should we do that will better our chances of gaining guardianship? What should we do or not do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 8 years ago.

Just keep being grandparents that try to get access and have a bond with the child and keep a good relationship with the parents of the child. Do not try to take the child by force but just keep using the court process and be prepared for any home visits and give any info the court requests asap so that the process does not get slowed down.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I guess I was not specific enough. What do I need to do for the courts. The natural parents want us to have guardianship, but the child has been with the other grandparents for the 9 mos. he has been born. Will the judge remove him from them for alienating everyone?
Expert:  legaleagle replied 8 years ago.

The parents need to have the courts terminate the guardianship since the grandparents are overstepping their bounds as guardians by denying everyone access to the child. You can help the parents and then the parents need to assign guardianship to you and your husband. The judge will remove the child because it is in the best interest for the child to know all his grandparents and his parents.

legaleagle and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you