How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Attorney-Therapist Mediator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  Attorney-Therapist Mediator for CA Divorce Mediation Center; over 30 years private practice in NYC.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I married my ex when MY son was 3 but had been in his life

Customer Question

I married my ex when MY son was 3 but had been in his life @ 1 1/2 years old. He went to court with me and had the biological fathers rights revoked as he told the judge that he was going to adopt him. Well he never did and now my child is 13 and without a father. We had child together and since then he has not treated or shown interest in my oldest son. Is there anything legally that can be done here? I did just get my son in to see a counselor for all the hurt this guy has done to him.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will do my best to assist you. During the course of our interaction , I may need some additional information. Also, please keep in mind that while I assist you, I don't know what you already know about the issue unless you tell me.


There is nothing you can cannot force him to be in your son's life as a dad or otherwise. Usually it is the opposite...the mom won't let the dad see the child and the dad applies to the court to get visitation. You cannot force him to adopt. Fortunately your son has a caring mom getting him the counseling he needs. Wish I had better news.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What about mental abuse? He forced him to call him Dad and then didn't treat him as his son especially when the divorce went through. He would take his biological son fishing and hunting and would leave him out or take him with but not give him a fishing pole or would buy gifts at christmas for the biological child and not him or give the biological son b-day gifts and nothing for him. ??
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Sorry....there is no such lawsuit for mental abuse based on the facts...I wish I could say otherwise.



Related Family Law Questions