How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Attorney-Therapist Mediator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  Attorney-Therapist Mediator for CA Divorce Mediation Center; over 30 years private practice in NYC.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im in the middle of a divorce-my husband is divorcing me.

Customer Question

I'm in the middle of a divorce-my husband is divorcing me. He accused me of cheating on him and treated me terribly for two years. We were married for 8 years in Oct, I purchased a house in October 05. During our relationship I took care of my husban because he could not hold a job-there are no children. I'm now being told that he get 1/1 of my 401k because I make twice as much as him. I have no lawyer because I can't afford one. Of course he has a lawyer. I don't know what to do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will do my best to assist you. During the course of our interaction , I may need some additional information. Also, please keep in mind that while I assist you, I don't know what you already know about the issue unless you tell me.


HE can get a share of your 401K...sorry. His behavior does not affect this. If you own a house, get a lawyer to represent you by his taking a mortgage on the house to pay his's done all the time. You need representation. He will make a claim for maintenance/alimony as well.!!