How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does my ex-husband still have to pay child support if daughter

Customer Question

Does my ex-husband still have to pay child support if daughter is 18 and a full time college student?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- Child support is determined by the support order issued by the court. If it says he has to pay until she turns 18 then it should now end. If it says he has to pay until a different age then it would continue until then and if it says child support stops when she enters college then it should stop.


Obviously I cannot read the order to make a determination but in any event, if there is a reason for support to be stopped then your ex can file a motion with the court to terminate support. Most child support orders are fairly explicit as to when support is to be terminated but some are ambiguous or do not cover all possibilities.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Related Family Law Questions