How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Washington State, at what age can a child decide which parent

This answer was rated:

In Washington State, at what age can a child decide which parent to live with without going through court?

DearCustomer- You must go through the court regardless of age since the child custody is an order of the court. The court will generally listen to the wishes of the child however the court makes the final determination based on the best interests of the child. The older the child the more weight their testimony has but the court reserves the right to make the final decision.


If the child is 12 or older the testimony of the child will generally be accepted but there are no guarantees and certainly no change of custody without going to court.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you