How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawrence D. Gorin Your Own Question
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1544
Experience:  30+ years family law experience. QDROs, UIFSA, UCCJEA expertise.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawrence D. Gorin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 5yr old daughter,never married to mother,pay child

Resolved Question:

I have a 5yr old daughter,never married to mother,pay child support,mother refuses me visitation haven't seen or talked to daughter since she was 1. Can't afford 2000 retainer. get served papers saying she wants sole custody because I have no established relationship with daughter.what do I do?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawrence D. Gorin replied 9 years ago.
You are in a tough spot, for sure. But there are other Kansas resources that may be of some help.

First, contact the Kansas Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They may be helpful in getting you in touch with a Kansas lawyer who will be able to work with you on a low-cost, perhaps no-cost, basis.

Also, tghe KBA has a FAQ page re child custody under Kansas law:

"Child Custody & Divorce Resources for Kansas"
Lots of resources at this website:

Free Legal Aid Kansas -- Here's a list of organizations in Kansas that can help residents with certain legal problems:

Kansas Legal Aid --- Public Law Library ---
Good list of more resources.....

Shawnee County District Court Family Law Guidelines.
Online booklet of more than 100 pages, all pertaining to Kansas family law and procedures. Including forms, such as "Motion to Establish Parenting Time."

If your question has been satisfactorily answered, please acknowledge by clicking the green “ACCEPT” button in the upper right hand corner of this window. And if you find the answer exceptionally helpful, a “bonus” payment is appropriate and would be much appreciated. Lastly, please add a few words of comment in the FEEDBACK space. It lets me (and others) know how I’m doing. And I thank you in advance.

Lawrence D. Gorin and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you