Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

What do I do if I have told him that I want a divorce and he

Customer Question
won't leave my home? Is...
What do I do if I have told him that I want a divorce and he won't leave my home? Is there such a thing as a "bed & breakfast divorce?"
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/1/2008
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
You can file for divorce while living in the same house. Eventually the court will issue temporary orders and one party will probably be awarded sole possession here. But yes when the economy gets bad and two people were having to make a mortgage it happens here.

You can divorce while living together. In fact I have done one for a client who wanted to keep living with the spouse but he was a chronic alcoholic and didn't want liability because of his numerous wrecks. They're divorced and they still live together. So it is certainly possible...

If this is your separate property the court will issue temporary orders awarding you the house and making him leave ..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Is this legal for the state of NC?

Yes it is. You just need to mae sure that you are indeed living separate lives and that there is no cohabitation during the period. This means you each get your own accounts, split out the bills to the degree possible, etc. Remember you have to testify and prove to the court that you separated even though circumstances required you to stay in the same dwelling.

Here's legal refernce to divorce in your state..

http://www.divorcesource.com/info/divorcelaws/northcarolina.shtml
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer