How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask InformationForYou Your Own Question
InformationForYou, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1956
Experience:  18 years as a family law attorney, adjunct law professor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
InformationForYou is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi was wondering if you could help me could i claim back dated

Resolved Question:

hi was wondering if you could help me could i claim back dated child support from my father im 20 years just found out that i could do that or i would have asked this question sooner
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  InformationForYou replied 9 years ago.

There are two issues: the first is whether there is a pending court order on child support. If your father was ordered to pay child support then he does owe the back child support and that obligation won't go away (regardless of how much time passed) and indeed he'll owe interest on the arrearage. The second issue, however, is that the duty of support is technically owed to your mother (if there was a court order) so it is up to her to enforce the order.


Please hit "accept" so the company pays me. Thanks so much.

InformationForYou and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you