How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask InformationForYou Your Own Question
InformationForYou, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1956
Experience:  18 years as a family law attorney, adjunct law professor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
InformationForYou is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I dont know where to start. My husband is very emotionally

Customer Question

I don't know where to start. My husband is very emotionally controlling. He has said some things to our daughter that have been very hurtful. I need to get out of this marriage for my children and my sake. My problem is that my husband will not make it easy. He refuses to leave and says I will never see a dime from him. He also is not an american citizen so he could leave and I am left with nothing. I can not live on my own without his financial help. What are my options? CR
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  InformationForYou replied 8 years ago.

Unfortunately if someone wants to fight for the purpose of fighting (i.e. because he wants to drag it out, not pay you a dime, make things difficult for you), you have no choice but to go along with the litigation process. If he refuses to leave and you cannot stay, then you should consider leaving. If your child is a minor, you'd be entitled to child support. If you're worried about him paying the support once it is ordered, you could seek an income deduction order or garnishment so that his child support is paid right to you from his employer. If he leaves the country then while the U.S. Order would still be valid and enforceable, obviously if he isn't here to enforce it on, then you would have a problem.


Please hit "accept" so that the company pays me for this response. Thanks.