How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My childs father has not seen her in almost 3 years and has

This answer was rated:

My child's father has not seen her in almost 3 years and has not paid any child support. My husband wants to adopt her, how can I get the father to trminate his rights in TN?
The easiest way would be to convince dad to agree into consenting with the step-parent adoption that way all he would have to do is sign a waiver of his rights and the step-parent adoption consent. If dad does not agree or dad cannot be located, then you would need to petition the court to terminate his parental rights. If dad is whereabout unknown you would need to file an affidavit of reasonable efforts in attempting to locate him in order to request notice of publication of your petition through the newspaper before you can proceed with the hearing. This is a difficult process to do on your own, especially since it is important that dad gets served the notice of the petition or that service of process for publication was followed appropriately. Once parental rights have been terminated then the child is freed for adoption and a petition for adoption would be filed. So again the easier way would be for dad to sign off on the consent and wavier of rights, otherwise, you need to use a lawyer to make sure the petition to terminate parental rights is followed through the letter. There are generally no fill in the blank forms to involuntary terminate someone's rights, that is why I am suggesting the lawyer.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you