How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlexiaEsq. Your Own Question
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13555
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AlexiaEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I live in Oregon and have been divorced for about 2 and

Resolved Question:

Hi, I live in Oregon and have been divorced for about 2 and half years. I have 2 grown children from this marriage just as FYI. I am now paying spousal support, as stipulated, to my ex-wife. We are both right at about 50 years of age. I am a manager and make approximately $80,000 a year (including bonuses) and she makes about 27,000 a year. I'm currently paying her $650 a month plus a portion of my bonus until I retire at age 65. Our marriage is of 27 years. It is also stipulated that she will continue with schooling in order to attain a better paying job in the future. She has recently received a $200,000 inheritance. Can I open up our case back up to try to eliminate or lower spousal support in light of this inheritance?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 8 years ago.



Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, oftentimes there are future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...


Yes, you can. This would be via a Motion for Modification of Spousal support based on a change in circumstances not anticipated at that time of the original order. The major change would be her resources - as they are no longer as low as they were when the original order was put in place and the amount has changed significantly. If this inheritance was know about and/or contemplated at the time of the first order, you will have problems, but otherwise, I would move for a modification.


I hope you have found this information informative and/or helpful. If so, please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, in order that it be recognized as such and I receive credit for same from the company. Your promptness is greatly appreciated. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you need additional related follow up on this particular question afterwards, don't hesitate to Reply. And if you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of post. Thanks!




Stephanie Joy


Please note: A times there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. In addition, if it is late at night, EST, and we are between postings, I may go get some shut eye, but I'll be back, so never fear. On Saturday, there will be greater gaps in time due to scheduling, for any needed follow up, but rest assured, by day's end it will be done.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and fee agreement at my standard billable hour rate of $275.00, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only research, resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up if needed. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you and have a great day.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Ms Joy,
Thankyou for your reply.
You stated that if this inheritance was known about, that I might have problems. I knew that her 82 year old mother was still alive (obviously) at the time of the divorce and that she owned an estate. Does that constitute me knowing about an inheritance? Would that much knowledge imply that I had that inheritance in consideration at the time?
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 8 years ago.



I would argue NOT. First, a living person 'has no heirs'. We don't know what the last will would have said because it can be changed at any time before death - thus, your ex had no right to an inheritance at all while mom was still alive. She could have left is elsewhere in a NY minute - and this happens all the time. I also doubt that this circumstances would indicate any type of contemplation of that as yet non-inheritance, unless it was actually discussed by the two of you and was a basis for keeping her alimony down (i.e. would it have been higher but for the inheritance). For instance, if the mother had died prior to the divorce, and you knew about what the now-FINALwill said but your wife did not yet have the inheritance, yes, then I think it would be stacked against you.

AlexiaEsq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions