Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

what are the parental rights of an unwed father in the state

Customer Question
of new jersey...
what are the parental rights of an unwed father in the state of new jersey
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/1/2008
Family Lawyer: The Judge, Family Law Attorney replied 9 years ago
The Judge
The Judge, Family Law Attorney
Hello niblack,

An unwed father has NO parental rights in New Jersey until a court grants you parental rights.

To establish parental rights, you must file a paternity action. DNA tests will be performed on you, the mother, and the child. If the tests come back positive, a hearing will be held and you will be declared the legal father of the child. At the hearing you will be ordered to pay child support and you will be given visitation rights, as well as a number of other parental rights.

I hope this answers your question. If there is anything that you do not understand, please let me know and I will be happy to explain further.

In the meantime, please click "Accept" so that I may be paid for my answer and any subsequent follow-ups with you.

Thank you,

The Judge

P.S. I am frequently asked how someone can specifically request that I, personally, answer a question. Here’s how: for new questions in the future, always begin your question with “QUESTION FOR THE JUDGE.”

The Judge
The Judge, Family Law Attorney
The Judge
The Judge
The Judge, Family Law Attorney