How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33372
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 79 and would like to move to a federally subsidized apartment

This answer was rated:

I am 79 and would like to move to a federally subsidized apartment complex here in Tx. I have close to fifty thousand in assets which keeps me from qualifying. My choice would be to equally divide my assets among my children, but the application specifically asks if any assets were given away in the last two years. Is there any way I can legally qualify?
Not at this point. They look at at least the last two years to see if you qualify. I think the period of time now is actually six years.

Don't turn in the application if you don't qualify. That puts you in their records.

You may want to set up a trust with the money for the future, that way you retain the use of it (kind of) but it isn't in your possession for government purposes.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
JD 1992 and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sense to me. I appreciate your advice.
Good luck to you.

Related Family Law Questions