How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get a divorce from a person that I have not seen or

Customer Question

How do I get a divorce from a person that I have not seen or know where he is in 4 years. We have no children, property or assets together. I don't have a job and currently disabled so my money is very limited. I never submitted the application for the marriage license to the state records but has since lost the certificate. I was able to change my name to my married name, but can't change it back to my maiden name.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 9 years ago.
You will need to file a petition for divorce and if you're not able to locate you spouse after reasonable efforts and reasonable time then the court will allow you to serve your spouse by publication. Print of the notice of intent to divorce in the newspaper. After time has passed the Judge would accept publication as proper notice and your divorce would proceed.
You can go to the following link to obtain forms and assistance. Good luck.
Daniel Solutions and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for you answer. As long as I don't have to have any contact with him because of prior abuse, I think i will be fine. thank you once again.
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 9 years ago.
Best of luck.