How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41543
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was an illegal aliean and got married on 12/17/08 and if

Customer Question

I was an illegal aliean and got married on 12/17/08 and if my wife is thinking about getting an annulment would i be deported to my country?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your question. An annulment would be bad for your here. It would be as if you were never married here. If the marriage gave you priority or was the basis of you plan for imigration it could be bad for you.


They won't deport you because of the annulment but it might affect whether you get to stay here legally. Sorry for the situation here but this would not help you thats for sure.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
after the annulment is done, what legal steps would i need to take to stay in states, the marriage was in good faith are thier any exception to the rules?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
You would need a visa to enter legally and then apply for residency here. She may not be able to annul here as annulments are pretty limited in nature such as underage, previous marriage, fraud, etc. Might end up being a regular divorce. You would need to countact your country's embassy in US about applying for a visa here