How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are concerned about his daughters mental

Resolved Question:

My husband and I are concerned about his daughter's mental well-being... Her mother continually makes her feel bad about herself, blames her for problems that are not her fault, daily yells and diminishes her self-esteem... She wants to come live with her dad and I. She's 16 years old. We live in Charlotte, NC... What grounds can we seek legal advise on? Her mother sometimes hits her, as well. Although we haven't seen marks left after the hit, we do NOT agree with this... Please advise...
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- Your husband should make a motion with the court for a change of custody. The court will listen to testimony from a 16 year old and, unless there is some compelling reason that she should not live with her father, the court will likely grant the change. In a case such as this it would not require that you actually prove the abuse since the daughter can speak for herself.


The motion must be filed in the court that granted the custody order or the court of current jurisdiction.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Dave Kennett and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you