How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41597
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is getting at least 50%disibilty benefits, are there benefits for me

Resolved Question:

No Comment Added
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your question. Indirectly yes. If the court awards spousal support based on his income from the divorce he would have to pay you here. The court looks at income, length of marriage, disparity of income, etc and may award support.


He has to pay you this amount that the court awards. You won't get the pension per se but you may get support that he pays you from his pension or other income. So you may certainly benefit here if the court decides to award you support. I wish you good luck in the divorce here..


If he dies here while you are married you would get his social security benefits as his survivor. You might want to consider whether to divorce here or not...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do not have a choice on whether to divorce or not. He has already filed for it. I am employed and do not expect the courts to award me spousal support. I wanted to know if there would be anyway that I could still be the beneficiary of the policy, as he is also my beneficiary.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Sure you should ask the courts to award it to you here and require it in a court order. this is reasonable to me and the court should agree...


Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.

RayAnswers and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you