How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Attorney-Therapist Mediator
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  Attorney-Therapist Mediator for CA Divorce Mediation Center; over 30 years private practice in NYC.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what are the abandonment laws in the state of Nebraska

Resolved Question:

what are the abandonment laws in the state of Nebraska?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will do my best to assist you. During the course of our interaction , I may need some additional information. Also, please keep in mind that when any of us at JA legal answers a question, we don't know what you, the customer, already knows about the issue unless we are told.


For divorce only?



Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

No abandonment basis:


The Petition for Dissolution of Marriage is the initial document filed with the Nebraska court. It is in the document that the filing spouse will request the court to terminate the marriage under certain specified grounds.

The court will grant a dissolution of marriage according to the following grounds:

No Fault Based Grounds:
Irretrievable breakdown of the marriage.

Fault Based Grounds:
Evidence which indicates that either party is mentally ill and lacks the ability to consent to a dissolution of marriage. This includes temporary incapacity caused by alcohol and drug abuse. (Nebraska Statutes - Chapter 42 - Sections: 361, 362)


Every dissolution of marriage case that is filed in the state of Nebraska must declare the grounds in which the dissolution of marriage is to be granted. The grounds for dissolution of marriage must be substantiated with evidence or testimony otherwise the court may dismiss the case. When you are petitioning the court for a dissolution of marriage, or agreeing to a dissolution of marriage, make sure that you completely understand the grounds and any potential legal repercussions. If you would like to learn more about the Nebraska grounds, visit the Nebraska state statutes located at:



Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am not looking for divorce. I am trying to find out how I can avoid the consent of a non custodial parent for adoption. If the father has not seen the child in over 6 months do I still need consent from him to adopt my girlfriend's son once we are married?

Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

I'm afraod so. There is no time period after which the parent's consent is not required.



rvlaw and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions