Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

what are the abandonment laws in the state of Nebraska

Customer Question
?...
what are the abandonment laws in the state of Nebraska ?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
9/4/2008
Family Lawyer: rvlaw, Attorney-Therapist Mediator replied 9 years ago
rvlaw
rvlaw, Attorney-Therapist Mediator

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will do my best to assist you. During the course of our interaction , I may need some additional information. Also, please keep in mind that when any of us at JA legal answers a question, we don't know what you, the customer, already knows about the issue unless we are told.

For divorce only?

rich

No abandonment basis:

The Petition for Dissolution of Marriage is the initial document filed with the Nebraska court. It is in the document that the filing spouse will request the court to terminate the marriage under certain specified grounds.

The court will grant a dissolution of marriage according to the following grounds:

No Fault Based Grounds:
Irretrievable breakdown of the marriage.

Fault Based Grounds:
Evidence which indicates that either party is mentally ill and lacks the ability to consent to a dissolution of marriage. This includes temporary incapacity caused by alcohol and drug abuse. (Nebraska Statutes - Chapter 42 - Sections: 361, 362)

Every dissolution of marriage case that is filed in the state of Nebraska must declare the grounds in which the dissolution of marriage is to be granted. The grounds for dissolution of marriage must be substantiated with evidence or testimony otherwise the court may dismiss the case. When you are petitioning the court for a dissolution of marriage, or agreeing to a dissolution of marriage, make sure that you completely understand the grounds and any potential legal repercussions. If you would like to learn more about the Nebraska grounds, visit the Nebraska state statutes located at: http://statutes.unicam.state.ne.us/.

http://www.divorcesupport.com/divorce/Nebraska-Grounds-for-Divorce-622.html

rich

I am not looking for divorce. I am trying to find out how I can avoid the consent of a non custodial parent for adoption. If the father has not seen the child in over 6 months do I still need consent from him to adopt my girlfriend's son once we are married?

I'm afraod so. There is no time period after which the parent's consent is not required.

Rich

rvlaw
rvlaw, Attorney-Therapist Mediator
rvlaw
rvlaw
rvlaw, Attorney-Therapist Mediator