How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 24870
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my ex wife withhold our children from seeing me even though we have joint custody

This answer was rated:

We went to court at the end of last month and my child support was lowered from 775.00 to 400.00 dollars. She has been sending me harrassing text messages and screaming at me on the phone since then. The child support payments haven't come out of my checks yet and she is now threatening that I am not allowed to see the children until she gets her money. I told her that if she keeps harrassing me and keeps trying to withhold the children I will document her behaviour and report her and she says she is okay with that. This type of behaviour is not new to her. It is affecting my children's emotional well being and very stressful for me. What do I do? She needs to know that she has to stop this negative behaviour. Not to metion her lawyer put on the court order that we should go to co-parenting and that my daughter should go to counceling but she refuses to go.

Your in a tough situation - I've represented many people in similar situations.


You have little alternative but to file contempt motions if your up to it and the hearing. Possibly even a modification of the custody order; however, that get really expensive and time consuming if your up to that too. Document everything, itemize everything, date everything - you can't tape record though - and go to court. Take people with you to pick up the children so that they can testify to what happens at pick-up/drop-off times.


Ask that pick-ups/drop-offs occur at the police station so that you two don't have to come in contact.


I would also call your telephone company to see if you can get copies of the text messages - certainly don't erase them. You might even go to your DA's office with those text messages and see if they will charge her with harassment.


Good luck! Thanks for the question.

Law Pro and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions