How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118131
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Where can I get a form for voluntary surrender of child from

Customer Question

Where can I get a form for voluntary surrender of child from his mother to myself, for state of Louisiana, she is willing to sign him now and wants my to take my son today, I want it done legally and finalized. please advise
Submitted: 9 years ago via RomingerLegal.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
If you are the biological parent, you do not need a voluntary surrender. You need to go to the court to do a voluntary termination of parental rights, but you can get her to sign a notarized voluntary termination of parental rights. Then you, as the biological parent have custody and rights and she has none and you need to file that in the parish court, which will review the order. You can also do a custody agreement where she grants you physical custody of the children.


I, [mother's name] affirm that I am the biological mother of the child [name] and that I hereby grant full physical parental custody to [your name] whom I swear and affirm is the biological father of the child [name].

I further agree that this voluntary custody of the child shall not terminate unless and until a valid order of a Court of the State of Louisiana is rendered to the contrary.

The undersigned swear and affim that they are entering into this agreement voluntarily and without any promises and that the sole agreement is contained herein. Any terms or conditions not mentioned herein shall be considered as not existing and shall not be considered part of this agreement. Additionally, the undersigned both affirm that we are of lawful age and absent any defects that would affect our capacity to enter into this agreement and do so with full knowledge of the effects thereof.

Both of you sign, and have it notarized and dated.

Then do a voluntary surrender of parental rights

Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights

I [mother] do hereby voluntarily agree to terminate any and all parental rights I have now or may have in the future over the child [name of child] born to me and [name of biological father - you].

I swear and affirm that I am of lawful age and absent any defects that would affect my capacity to enter into this agreement.

I further swear and affirm that I am voluntarily terminating my parental rights over [child] and am not being threatened, coerced, intimidated in any way and waive any rights to claim such in the future.

I understand that the voluntary termination of my parental rights means that I no longer have any control or custody rights to [child] and lose any rights to inherit from [child] as a lawful heir, but that [child] retains lawful rights to inherit from me as a lawful heir.

Have her sign and notarize, then you need to file a petition in the State Court in your parish to voluntarily terminate the rights. The court will review the affidavit and issue the order terminating her rights and legally changing the child's name if required or reqested.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Name of organization that would have the forms you spoke of and what steps are required to petition the court for what you are suggesting.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
You can contact the state bar and ask about their pro bono programs in your area for assistance with the forms. Once she signs, you can simply file a petition for custody with the court for to recognize the custody agreement on your own and attach the notarized custody agreement (above) she has signed, the court will then generally rule on this matter fairly quickly and issue the order granting custody.