How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

No Comment Added

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
In California the FL 300 is the order to show cause: Starts the process for a family law matter, e.g. for child support, custody etc...similar to summons

FL 301 is the notice of motion for a family law matter...same as above, can apply for most any family law matter

Please let me know if you have questions else please hit the green button, its the only way i get paid.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 8 years ago.

Hi, Hunterkim:

Mr. Simmons is one of the sharper experts here, but he opted out becuase I could give you a little bit better information.

In its effort to make the court process more accessible to the public, the California Judicial Council created certain standarized forms. The "FL" forms are those forms pertaining to matters brought in the family law courts.

"FL-300" is the standard notice and Order to Show Cause, or "OSC" for short. An OSC is a request for the court to contemplate general family law matters. Functionally, it works the same as a motion in most every way. In short, once a petition has been made, this is the form that actually gets the substance of the petition before the court.

"FL-310" is the application for the FL-300. The FL-310 specifies the particulars asked for the in FL-300. So, for example, if you are noticing and requesting a change in spousal support via the FL-300, the FL-310 lets the court know what you would like the change to be made to and the factual and legal basis for the change. When filing with the court, the FL-310 always accompanies the FL-300.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to B. T. Mayer, Counselor at Law's Post: thank you but where can I get a copy of this form online
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 8 years ago.

Hi again:

FL-300 can be found at:

FL-310 can be found at:

Judicial counsel forms in general can be found at:

Related Family Law Questions