Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

How do we get guardianship papers on our grand baby

Customer Question
Ower 15 yr old daughter...
Ower 15 yr old daughter is pregnant and due in 3 months. The father is 16. Our insurance covers our daughters pregnancy but in order to cover the baby we have to be made guardians. How do we go about doing that and does his divorced parents have to be involved since he is 16. It will only be temp until they are adults. Can we complete the paper work and file through family court or law master?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2008
Family Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
What state are you in?
Not sure you are able to view my posts, but to answer your question it is possible to get temporary guardianship to take care of your grandchild. The mother would have to consent to the temporary guardianship petition. The father's consent would be needed only if paternity has been established. In general, in an unmarried situation the mother is considered to only have legal rights over the child. The father has no rights until paternity has been established. To start you would need to file the petition for temporary guardianship and them mom would sign the consent. Typically these forms are available at the probate court in the county where the child is a resident. Again the father nor his parents have any legal rights until the father establishes paternity.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice.I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: wesr virgina
Thank you for your reply. I found the forms you can use here. You need to contact the court clerk to see these online forms are upto date and complete. From research you would use the infant guardianship forms.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer