Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

How do I get him to pay

Customer Question
My exhusband is to carry...
My exhusband is to carry the health insurance on my son and he is to pay 50% of all the medical bills. He has not had insurance since my son was 5 and he refuses to pay any bill , he tells me that is why I get childsupport. That is all fine but The state of Florida just found him about 5 years ago, so he owes me roughly 28.000 in back and now my son will be 18 in tow months and my ex has already told me he is going to stop paying anything. What can I do????
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2008
Family Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
Although child support ends at age 18, that does not mean the he will no longer be obligated to pay the back child support that he owes you. In Florida there is no statute of limitations on collecting the arrears. This means that he will be obligated to pay the arrears until paid in full. At the present moment you will need to file a motion for contempt to get him to pay his share of the medical expenses. You will need to bring the receipts to confirm what he owes. From there, you need to ask the state to garnish his wages. This is the common method of enforcing child support orders. The state will also be able to place a lien on his property and seize his personal property to enforce collections. Other method include suspending his driver's license and potentially he can have a warrant for his arrest if he intentionally evades paying support. So if these options have not been discussed you need to address these with the state.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice.I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.
Attorney & Mediator
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: How would I file a motion for contempt, can I do this on my own or do need a lawyer?
You mentioned that I need to file contempt charges , Iam not sure how to do this and do I need a lawyer? I have gone to the state so much I might as well live there and they tell me that there is not much they can do for me.. The state said that they have to talk to the state that he lives in which is Mississippi. I just get the run around when I talk to the state......
Sorry for the delay in reply as I was out of the office. You need to file the motion for contempt in Mississippi. If you have not talked to the state child support office of Mississippi, speak with them first. If you have already spoken to them, then you will need a lawyer to register the Florida child support order in Mississippi and set a hearing for enforcement. Unfortunately Mississippi does not have online forms on filing the motion for contempt, so this means that a lawyer will be necessary to represent your case in Mississippi.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer