Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My friend has a very onerous divorce settlement that ...

Customer Question
My friend has a very...
My friend has a very onerous divorce settlement that basically forces her to stay in a house she cannot maintain. Her ex-husband will not sign papers for her to use money from an insurace company. They have joint custody of the house. He has demanded a detailed accounting of her expenses since their divorce four years ago before he will consider signing the check ($4000). The house is badly in need of repairs and she cannot afford to have them done on her own. Insurance company says he has to counter sign the check. Is there any legal relief for this situation? We live in Louisiana.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2008
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
She can take him to court to force him to sign the check. The court may also order him to pay attorney's fees, particularly if he is demanding an accounting and is not entitled to one. That is really the only way to accomplish what she wants to accomplish.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Always feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer