Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

my wifes father has tried to kill himself three times by ...

my wifes father has tried to kill himself three times by taking bottles of pills. however he then calls someone to tell them. my wifes stepmother refuses to let him get help, and insists on keeping him home. is there any legal action my wife and her sisters can take to get thier father help before he kills himself?
Sorry to hear what is going on. Only way to get help, would be to declare the father mentally incompetent to handle his own affairs and his own person. This is done by filing a petition to become the adult's conservator/guardian. In general, the father's doctor will have to issue a medical report confirming that dad is not of right mind to support the petition. From there a court investigator will be assigned to see if dad needs help and make recommendations to the court. Once appointed, then the conservator/guardian can make decisions on behalf of dad to get the help he needs. Otherwise, if dad is not found mentally incompetent, only help would be to set up an intervention with the family to force himself to get the help.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice.I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: Is this guardianship possible even if my father in law is married? that is the big problem. she is stopping him from getting the help. is it possible to override her authority?
Thank you for your reply.

Marriage does not give her legal rights over her husband. She has no say over her husband unless her spouse gave her a power of attorney to handle his person or affairs. It is possible for a guardianship to take place despite the father being married. Typically the wife would be the first in line to get the guardianship, but if she is not looking out for his best interests, then the daughter can proceed on her own petition.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: that is great. thank you for the good advice.
No problem. All the best to your wife with this.