Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

If I get married in Mexico is the marriage legal in the

Customer Question

If I get married in Mexico is the marriage legal in the U.S.?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
long as the laws of Mexico are complied with in making the Mexican marriage valid, the United States will recognize the Mexico marriage legal.

Below are the requirements for a valid Mexican marriage.

Requirements for a Mexico Marriage
1. Completed marriage application, giving exact names of applicants, just as they appear in their birth certificates (Article 93 of the Civil Code)
2. Birth Certificate and three photocopies (Mexican Citizen).
3. For the American Citizen: Apostilled birth certificate translated into Spanish. For information on obtaining an apostille in the U.S., click here. "FMT" form (Tourist or Residence), and a special permit to marry in Mexico issued by Mexican Immigration.
4. Four witnesses. Two for each applicant (over 18 yrs. of age) with original
5. Prenuptial medical examination, issued by the local General Hospital, or by another public or private entity of their selection, which should include HIV, V.D.R.L. and blood type, issued no more than 15 days before the marriage takes place. Medical examinations from the U.S. are NOT acceptable.
6. If applicants are living together or have children, all of the above requirements still apply, including Steps 5.
7. Photo I.D. and a copy (both sides) for each of the applicants.
8. If applicants are divorced or widowed, they should present the corresponding divorce or death certificates and three copies.
9. When one or both of the persons marrying is/are under the age of 18, the parents of the minor(s) must present photo I.D. to be able to give their consent and must accompany them first to City Hall to obtain an "Underage Permit" and then to the Civil Registry Office.
10. An appointment for the marriage must be scheduled the day before. Bring all the above required documents to the Civil Registry Office from 9:00a.m. to 12:00p.m. Monday through Friday. Marriages at a location other than the Civil Registry Office require an appointment at least 14 days in advance.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice.I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: I do not want the marriage to be filed in the US.
Can it be kept secret for personal reasons?
You can request that your marriage license be kept confidential. You would need to contact the county you would be filing the foreign license for their particular local practice on this. It is possible to have a marriage license kept confidential but that is dependent on local jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I want to know what country we could go to and be married and it not be recorded in the US.
Let me clarify my answer as I may have not been clear. There is no U.S. requirement that you register your foreign marriage license. You would only have to register it if you were headed for divorce or to use it for such things as immigration. So long as you have your certified marriage license of Mexico, there is no need to register it in the U.S. I answered your last reply in the belief that you wanted it confidential. No need to file the foreign license in the U.S.