How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116817
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the primary parent of my 7 year old daughter. Her ...

Resolved Question:

I am the primary parent of my 7 year old daughter. Her father has standard visitation rights - we have shared custody.   Her father is a "movie" maker so to speak and has done a couple of independent films. I have discussed with him in the past that I do not want her to be a part of any movie without my consent-especially those not suitable for children. My daughter is at present with her dad for summer visitation. She shared with me on the phone that she was in a movie he is making and had a speaking part. She was supposed to be a ghost or something. My question is this: What are my rights and how do I stop him? He does not have my consent to place her in a "movie," and has gone behind my back to do so. This is a really important moral issue for me, besides the possible reprocussions it could have on my daughter. What is my defense and how do I stop him? Thank you,      XXXXX XXXXX   - worried mom
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
As long as he has proper permission for the minor to appear in the movie there is nothing wrong if it is not a pornographic film. Unless there is a court order to the contrary, either parent can provide such permission under shared custody when the child is with them. If you have a moral objection, then you could seek to get the court to order that the child not appear in the movies without your express consent, but the court will merely look at what it believes is in the best interest of the child and not what you believe is in your interest. Your only defense is to prove that acting in these specific films is not in your child's best interests and filing a motion with the court to modify the current order to prohibit it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions