How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41064
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to change custody when the parent leaves the state

Resolved Question:

Our divorce decree states that both of us have joint legal and physical custody. He moved to Georgia and we verbally agreed that she would stay with me for the school year back in Minnesota. Now he feels our daughter should live there and is making things very difficult with the arrangements that have been laid out. I am unsure of the legal aspects and what exactly my rights are. He also pays me child support once a week into a joint savings account which he started to take money out off. Also, I have been paying for her plane tickets this year. I am just really upset that he will try to keep her there and I don''t want to do anything illegal.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. You should consider filing a motion to modify custody here. The ex has relocated and the court would probably give you sole custody. I also think this joint account sounds bad too.

The court should order support. Then it should be withheld from wages here. You tried to informally modify here and adjust and it is not working. My advice is talk to a lawyer, close the joint account or change the name to your name only. The court should be having this paid through them so there is a record. It protects both of you.

Also I don't know why you are paying plane fare here. That is not your burden. While you're at it a raise in support would be a good thing here since you're going back to court anyway. Good luck here with all of this...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RayAnswers's Post: So is this something that I can do my self or do I have to get a lawyer. I can't afford that with everything else going on.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Here are legal forms if you want to try it yourself. I would be really careful with that account here if he is withdrawing money.I wish you luck here..
RayAnswers and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you