How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33416
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I are recently separated and she currently has ...

Customer Question

My wife and I are recently separated and she currently has custody of my daughter. She does not cook or clean, so I find my daughter is now not eating well and living in a dirty apartment. My wife has a blanket up in my daughters bedroom window so that the room is dark 24/7. My wife can''t sleep in the light and feels that my daughter can''t either. I have had many an argument trying to urge my wife to cook and clean and remove the window blanket, but she refuses. My mother potty trained my daughter. I would try on the weekends, but my wife would never continue the routine during the week. When my daughter is afraid of something or does not like something she is eating, my wife''s first reaction is to pick her up and give her something else to distract her or something that she knows she will eat. I would like to fight to be the primary care giver, my question to you is do you think I have a case. Is there a chance that I might win the litigated proceedings?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 8 years ago.
There is certainly a chance. There are a few things you need to consider doing. The first would be to have the judge order unannounced home visits by a social worker to evaluate the homes. Second, request that all of you be evaluated by a psychologist. While you don't appear to need this, it is obvious that your wife has some problems and you need to knwo the effect on your daughter.

The primary focus of the judge in determing child custody is the "best interest of the child".

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Always feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.