Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My son is in need of opeining a paternity case for

Customer Question
visitation and custody. We live...
My son is in need of opeining a paternity case for visitation and custody. We live in Fairfield, California and the child is in Austin, Texas. What are the steps we need to take to begin this action.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2008
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Thanks for your question. I'm assuming that the child support case here was filed in Austin, Texas by the mother. If so then you would file for visitation here in Austin, Texas.

Because of distance you are probably going to need a lawyer here to file and represent you in the matter. The lawyer can get you court ordered visitation. If he was unmarried then the court also declares him the legal father. The father here may either have to travel to visit if it is young child or the court decides how to deal with this,

The State Bar of Texas has a Lawyer Referral Service. They give you a 1/2 hour consultation for $20. they will review the matter and discuss fees and visitation options with you here. I wish you good luck..

http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=Selecting_a_Lawyer&CONTENTID=3836&TEMPLATE=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer