How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41054
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

dear sir, five years ago my husband signed the marital home ...

Customer Question

dear sir, five years ago my husband signed the marital home over to me, as gift of deed. he has lived apart from me now,for over 2 years,is he entitled to anything from me, he lives in his mothers house,she left to him, as i am wanting a divorce. yours faithfully, mrs l a simpson.        [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. If he deed this over to you and it is in your name now then he has the burden to show an interest here. The court would ultimately decide whether he has an interest or not.

It has the appearance of a gift to you and he would have the burden to explain why it is not here in this situation. If it was bought and paid for during the marriage the court would look at this closely. They would hear the two sides and thier lawyers if they have them and rule on the matter.
RayAnswers and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RayAnswers's Post: my husband has shown no interest in our two children,aged 9 and 14 years, all this time, he has never contributed one penny to my bills, or sent the girls any money,[pcket money for eg,] i am 51, he is 53, has his own electrical,and plumbing buisseness,very sucessfull too,will the children recieve any weekly payments,as up to now, he just says he has no work on,and we know he has plently.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 years ago.
You would be entitled to spousal and child support and compensation for your part of the business here. Also to me it loks like this is a gift here. You are going to need a lawyer to file and represent here if you want a portion of his business. Sounds like he has a lot of hidden assets here. I wish you good luck..